Day Three Results Rundown
Day three proved to be filled with upsets and sharp play from the top tier of the current tennis all-stars. Here’s a brief summary of noteworthy results.
- Serena Williams, Caroline Wozniacki, and Maria Sharapova all record easy victories in their first round matches.
- Agnieszka Radwanska and Victoria Azarenka advance with their 6-3, 6-3 wins. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova only needs one more again to beat Iveta Benesova.
- French Open finalist Sam Stosur joins Francesca Schiavone in defeat after straight sets loss to Kaia Kanepi.
- Na Li and Jie Zheng make it to round two in straight sets.
- Petra Kvitova, a player I have my eye on, takes out Sorana Cirstea 6-2, 6-2.
- American Vania King set to play decisive match against Daniela Hantuchova tomorrow.
- Serena and Venus Williams team up to continue their doubles major title string up success. They’re shooting for five in a row.
- Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray, Sam Querrey, and Robin Soderling advance in three sets.
- Jo-Wilfried Tsonga comes back strong in first match after retiring at the French Open.
- Seeds Nicholas Almagro, Juan Carlos Ferrero, and Marcos Baghdatis fall, while unseeded American James Blake continues to struggle. Fabio Fognini upset Fernando Verdasco, too.
- John Isner’s match is held at two sets apiece against Nicholas Mahut.